Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumpsandtanks Website | Chat Room | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Well, pump, tank, water quality, plmbg & electric
 Pumps in general
 20Yr.Old well now pumping sand after Rains...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  8:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all, I'm in need of advice. I have a well in Florida thats now 20yrs. old has always been flaw less great water, pressure etc. just needing standard maintance. But after we had about 7 weeks of almost constant rain here, we noticed one day while changing a whole house filter on the discharge side pure white extra extra extra fine sand. It was around the bottom of the filter when I went to change it. The filter chamber is about the size of a large pitcher, and we have notice on and off now for about two months, within a two week time their would be about 1/4 of that chamber with the fine sand. The well is a 3" galv.casing thats 100' with a 1 1/4" pvc drop pipe thats about 103' with a foot valuve on the end of it. The pump is on the surface 1 1/2hp, with a packer on it. We have around 16' of water from the bottom up, or about 89' to the water. Flow is as always around 10Gal. per min. and with one fauct open runs at around 50psi and cut off at 60psi. Is their anything that might be done to correct this or is this a sign I'm loosing the well maybe???
Thank's in advance for any help,,, Rich in FLorida...

Edited by - n/a on Aug 26 2005 8:22:01 PM

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11192 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  09:11:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where are you in Florida Rich. I'm near Tampa.

I'm sorry to hear your jet is on PVC. The packer can't be on the pump with a water level of nearly 100 feet. It has to be on the bottom of the PVC droppipe. Which means it will probably never come out. This is called a deep well system. Either your pump is bolted directly to the casing adaptor (vertically or horizontally or there are two pipes between the pump and the well.

The sand is really the big issue here though. Generally once one starts pumping sand, it will keep on and probably get worse as time goes on. You will find that the sand is more than likely coming down around the casing from the surface water vein higher up. This also means your getting surface water in your home. I would have the PH checked. If it is below 7, you probably have the symptoms I just described. If you have a pool use the pool kit to test your water or go to the store and buy the little cheap pool test kit for chlorine and PH.

bob...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2005 :  4:47:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Bob, I'm sorry I don't know alot about the deffineing words we are using here as I knew their was a Packer on it, but yes as you said the Pump is bolted to the top of the Galv. well casing and the dougnut looking device is around my sch40 PVC drop pipe, I think its about 50' to 60' down not sure of the exact footage their. I live up her in Pasco Co. in Hudson between U.S.19 and the Suncoast Express way and just north of SR.52 .. In fact THE Tampa Bay Water Works Department, is replacing wells all around us because of their well fields pumping water from this area causing sand to pump from peoples wells and just plain going dry. So I called them, after the man I spoke with came back to the phone he said they would replace the well with up to a 6" with subm. pump and everything needed free of charge , but where I live is about 1.75 air miles outside of the Mediation area that they are replacing them for the moment. That sure makes me wonder now about that, what would you say I should do replace the well? Or is their anyway to rebuild the well, we are going to be moving within a year from now, but I don't want to sell the house to someone under false pretences you see... Thank's for the answer Bob.
p.s. My wife just reminded me the well was put in with the house and its 17 years old but I had the Packer installed, pre the advive in 1990 when a plummer that had done some work on the well advised it since the drop pipe was so deep, I had noticed when I moved in I read on the drop pipe that was exposed sch20 I new then get rid of it but I did not know their was anything stronger in 1990 "so the drop pipe and packer is say 15 years old now and the sand started 1.5 months back now. I hope I didn't talk in riddles, I'm on Morphine Injections for Chronic Pain.....
Thank's agian, Rich in Hudson, FLorida.........

Edited by - n/a on Aug 28 2005 2:35:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11192 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  3:34:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok Rick, sorry to hear about the pain. I know how that can be only on a much smaller scale.

As much as I hate Tampa Bay Water and all their politics, I would let them put in the new well for you. They have been doing it around here for at least 15 if not more years and damned near put me out of business.

They only let the companies that go along with their way of doing things do the actual work. I won't go any further with it because I just get madder.

Anyway, let them put in the new system for you. The only issues you may have is the quality of the water. It may have more hardness, iron and possibly sulphur. But what the hell they were installing all that equipment for free too. Out of your tax dollars of coarse.
Not that I don't think you should be entitled to a new well since they are the ones that messed it up in the first place.

So go for it while their in a good mood. Be sure to complain about the quality rite away so you don't have to buy the filtration yourself.

Good luck Rick,

bob...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  01:42:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bob, they are telling me I'm 1.75 miles outside of the mediaition area where they are "not" replacing the wells in my area. They even sent me a map of this, do youmthink I shounld get a Lawery, also I did not mention I live due West of the West Pasco Incenterator. whitch has a 2'test well less than 2 miles from mine, they use this to test the liner to see if is leaking "Like the would tell us" The really said thing is if you look a a geological servey the main supply of water runs under the lines here in this area! It keeps me up at night but what can I do.... I was wondering if that might have caused some trouble with my well. Sorry about my spelling I just took my shoots. I did a P.H. check and its above 8ph...
Thanks again BoB,,,, Rich, in Hudson Florida.....

Edited by - n/a on Aug 31 2005 01:50:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

79 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  11:56:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit admin's Homepage Send admin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I would do Rich is jump up and down, raise all kinds of hell with Tampa Bay Water. You might even threaten them with Channel 8, 10, 13, 28, 44... well you get the idea.

I know for a fact they have done this in the past when they said they wouldn't, but they are beaurocrats and don't like negative publicity. With all the money they are raking in, not to mention spending (need I mention the De-sal plant in Apollo Beach or the Big Berm in Picnic?)

Give em hell Rich,

bob...
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2005 :  1:30:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit n/a's Homepage Send n/a a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank's I will get started I have someone that just loves to do that, my Sister is a LTD. in the Police dept. not in tampa's area but is in Florida. Thank's again Bob this message board has beeen a great help. Working for Verizon I know just what you mean about keeping it from the public eye... Take care and best wishes to do and yours, Rich in Hudson.....
If it helps out I will keep you informed,,,,,

Go to Top of Page

Tweaker

Hudson
Florida
3 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  06:56:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tweaker's Homepage Send Tweaker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since I Orig. posted this topic, Our well is now pumping more sand. It is not the super fine type but is white and fine. If I open the faucet on top of the well 1 full turn and run the pump for 6 hours I get just over 1 cup of sand now! The PH level is still as it was ok.I have run the well for hours and it will clear up for a week then it starts again. The filter system on my system is keeping the sand from inside our home for now, but I have to clean it every 5 days or so. The water is still great quality just the sand, Is their anything that we could do to correct this at all??? Thank's Rich, Hudson-Florida.......
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11192 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  09:27:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is nothing you can do with the well Rich but you can make it a lot easier on your self by installing a water softener sized tank with just plain swimming pool filter sand in it that will keep the fine sand from getting into the house. YOu won't have to mess with it but maybe every 6 months or so. You can use one with an automatic head just like a water softener or I can build you a manual backwash that would save a bunch of money. I have done maybe a dozen of these over the years including one for myself a few years back and they work great.

bob...

Frequently asked questions at a glance.

Return to Pumps & Tanks
Go to Top of Page

Gary Slusser

Wherever we park the motorhome
728 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  10:12:27 AM  Show Profile Send Gary Slusser a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a special patented sand trap tank that doesn't backwash, you simply blow down (drain) some water out of the tank every month or so. The drain is in the center bottom of the tank and you connect a garden hose, or piece of hose, to it and drain maybe 5 gallons of water out of it. The benefits are much less cost and water pressure loss.

Gary
Quality Water Associates
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Softener Forum: http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/phpBB2/index.php
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11192 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2005 :  10:13:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you got any images of this device Gary, you got my curiosity up.

bob...

Return to Pumps & Tanks
Go to Top of Page

Gary Slusser

728 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2005 :  4:17:43 PM  Show Profile Send Gary Slusser a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I do but how do you attach a picture here? It comes in two sizes, 10" x 54" and 12" x 60".

Gary
Quality Water Associates
Go to Top of Page

Gary Slusser

728 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2005 :  4:28:13 PM  Show Profile Send Gary Slusser a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a link to my server.

http://qualitywaterassociates.com/images/sandtraptank.jpg

Gary
Quality Water Associates
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11192 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  09:13:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just click on the paper clip at the bottom of your post. It says next to it "Insert and Image File (Max Size: 1.47 MB)

bob...

Return to Pumps & Tanks
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11192 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  09:15:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got ya, I used the link. That's pretty cool. Don't you add any sand or media of any kind?

What is the mesh size of the screen in the middle?

bob...

Return to Pumps & Tanks
Go to Top of Page

Gary Slusser

728 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2005 :  11:23:27 PM  Show Profile Send Gary Slusser a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh... I always use the Quick Reply so I didn't see the other window.

There is not mesh, the thing that looks like bottom basket on the distributor tube isn't. It's like an upside down mushroom and turns the flow of water 180 degs, or up and it hits that white piece and thta turns the flow 90 degs. Anything heavy enough to sink/settle is going to come out of it and go to the bottom of the tank.

Gary
Quality Water Associates
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11192 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2005 :  08:53:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So does the water go in or out of the diffuser? And will it work on sand as fine as almost dust?

That has always been the problem here in Florida. We don't have sand we have crushed shell and some of it when dried can be blown away like dust. The laval seperators won't touch the stuff. That's why I put silica sand in the ones I use, to catch the fine stuff.

bob...

Download Attachment: sandtraptank.jpg
12.03 KB

bob...

Return to Pumps & Tanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pumps And Tanks Forums! © Pumps And Tanks Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05