Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumpsandtanks Website | Chat Room | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Well, pump, tank, water quality, plmbg & electric
 Pumps in general
 Replacing old well pump
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

airbuspete

2 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  11:04:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit airbuspete's Homepage Send airbuspete a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've lived in my present house for 1 year and am new to well pumps. The house is 40 years old and has the well pump and tank in the basement. The tank is galvanized and looks pretty new. It measures 4 feet tall by about 16" diameter. No capacity is listed, although it does state "75 psi max working pressure".

The problem is the pump itself looks old and very rusted and is beginning to drip constantly from various places. I'd like to replace it myself.

There are two (why two?) heavy rubber hoses entering the basement wall from the well that attach to the pump (with basic hose clamps) which sits on a mount that is strapped to the top of the tank. The pump side of the unit says "Rapidayton" and the i.d. plate on the motor says "Century" and is 1/3 hp. Then there is a "Pumptrol" controller. The setup looks like its as old as the house. Ideally I'd like to have a submerged pump in the well (quieter) but for financial reasons would just like to replace the pump and utilize the existing tank since it's new (unless there is a compelling reason to switch).

What type of pump should I get and would more horsepower be necessarily better? Sorry to be so basic in my description. Thanks for any advice!

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11192 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  11:22:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Pete,

I used to sell Rapidayton in my 20's. They have been out of business for a long time. A 1/3rd horse is pretty small. The two pipes indicate a deep well system. YOu will need a deep well jet pump. I recommend a 1hp for home use. The problem is the jet in the well is probably sized to that little 1/3hp and the 1hp won't do much for improving the situation.

If you can find out what size the casing is, you may be able to go with a sub and the pressure etc. will be far better.

bob...
Go to Top of Page

airbuspete

2 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  1:06:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit airbuspete's Homepage Send airbuspete a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick reply Bob. The water pressure I have isn't that bad, although I'd like it a little higher. Is it possible I'd still get a little more pressure with the 1 hp pump even though the jets might be sized differently? Would it be bad for my system to have the 1 hp on it? How difficult would it be to replace the jets; of if going to that much trouble should I just go for the submersible?

I dug a hole in the area were my well is to try to find the casing. No luck, yet. Is installing a submersible pump fairly straightforward? I guess running electricity to it would be my biggest obstacle (not too far from house, about 40 feet). What I don't know is how deep the well is or any other specifics. Would I be able to use the existing hoses/pipes that come into the basement and the same tank?

I'm a fairly capable DIY'er, but have no knowledge in this area. I'm more of a "remove and replace" capable guy. Is there a detailed explanation of the installation procedure with the pumps when you buy them?

My neighbor went from a system like mine to a submersible and paid around $2500! I'm just hoping to avoid that expense if I can reasonably do the work myself for a lot less (or even sub out different parts of the job such as the electric).

Sorry for all the questions...Thanks again.

Pete
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11192 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  1:18:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The hard part Pete after finding the well of coarse is pulling the jet. If it is a single pipe jet, it will come out real hard. This is not something you would want to do by hand. The next thing is to determine the well diameter. If it is a 2" well, you can't use a sub. If it is 3" or larger then you can put in a sub.

None of the pumps you buy will come with directions that will do you and good. We can talk you through it here easier than you trying to cypher those directions.

So dig up the well, try to get the inside diameter of the casing and post back.

bob...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pumps And Tanks Forums! © Pumps And Tanks Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05