Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumpsandtanks Website | Chat Room | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Well, pump, tank, water quality, plmbg & electric
 Tanks in general
 My well pump will not shut off...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

GTE

13 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2006 :  10:22:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit GTE's Homepage Send GTE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, im new here, and here is my issue.

We bought this house in February, and the pump cycled on and off during water usage since then, now, the pump wont shut down at all.

We have a Goulds jet pump and a bladder tank, I have replaced the switch with a 30/50 and still it wont turn off. The pressure stays at 36 psi or so, even after I drained it and charged it to 28 psi...still went to 36 psi, and runs on.

The bladder tank is an Aqua air v-60....we have plenty of water, if we keep the pump on....is this tank bad?

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11529 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  1:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if this is a shallow or deep well jet pump, but it sounds to me like you have a leak that is getting bigger. It could be in the well or in the house somewhere.

If the pump is making some pressure, it is working. I might lean towards a plugged jet, but that wouldn't explain the cycling.

bob...

Frequently asked questions at a glance.

Return to Pumps & Tanks
Go to Top of Page

GTE

13 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2006 :  9:08:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit GTE's Homepage Send GTE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It just cycled on and off during usage, when the pressure went back and forth between the high and low set points....I think its a shallow well pump, but im not sure.

It was just recently, when we noticed it wasnt shutting off.just stays at around 36 lbs of pressure, and when we turn off the switch, it doesnt seem to lose pressure.I take that back....its been off for half an hour, and the pressure is sitting at the 28 lbs of pressure I pumped into it.

I figured that if there was an outside leak {nothing in the house is leaking}, that it should still charge to a cutoff point, but I dont know much about them.

Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11529 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  08:57:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I need more info to make any recommendations.

How many pipes leave the pump going to the well?

What kind of tank?

Have you changed the gauge?

bob...

Return to Pumps & Tanks
Go to Top of Page

Rancher

810 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  10:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rancher's Homepage  Send Rancher a Yahoo! Message Send Rancher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, it holds pressure, so that eliminates the foot valve and the leak in the house or anywhere else. If you have one pipe coming out of the well and that's where the pump is, then it's a submersible. I suspect the pump is going bad, impellers not able to pump beyond 36psi.

Rancher

Go to Top of Page

GTE

13 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  6:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit GTE's Homepage Send GTE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One pipe coming from the well, to the jet pump inside my basement.....aqua-air v60 bladder tank.....I looked down the well pipe, and have seen no leakage, and I know that there is none inside the house......can I pump the tank up more, and/or, lower the pressure switch to work better? I suspect the same thing as Rancher, because when I looked at the gauge while checking out my well pipe for leaks, it appeared to only read 32 psi, and no, the gauge wasnt changed.

Thats all the info I have, I dont know much about the well, wasnt given that info when I bought the house, and the pump has worked really hard in the 6 months weve lived here....garden, swimming pool, etc... and it was installed in 1999.

thanx for the help
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11529 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  09:18:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What brand is the pump? Not the motor, the pump itself. Goulds, Red Jacket, Sears, Myers, Betta Flo, Aermotor, Sta Rite, Ruth Barry, A.Y. Mcdonald, Deming, Duro. To name a few.

What horse power?

The tank you have was not a very good brand years back and can easily be waterlogged.

bob...

Return to Pumps & Tanks
Go to Top of Page

GTE

13 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  11:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit GTE's Homepage Send GTE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It appears to be a Goulds A.O. Smith 1/2 horse pump motor, and I know the tank wasnt the best, but im not too sure the tank is a problem, since the pump seems unable to charge the pressure past 35 psi...the tank seems to be able to supply the 6 gallons of water when the pump is turned off.
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11529 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  09:11:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If there are no leaks, it has to be a pump problem.

It could also be the water level in the well. As it gets closer to 25 feet from the pump vertically, the pumps ability to make pressure decreases. This would mean your dangerously close to running completely out of water. At 25 feet, the pump will stop working altogether.

bob...

Return to Pumps & Tanks
Go to Top of Page

GTE

13 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  8:45:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit GTE's Homepage Send GTE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, we went to Lowes and priced pumps and tanks today. Not completely sure of what we need, as we dont really know if its a shallow or deep well....their prices werent bad....we could get both for around 300 dollars.

When we bought the house, it was advertised as ample water supply, never runs out...but it has been dry around here for awhile now.

I dont know how to gauge water level, or well depth...and its weird that the motor in the pump supplies plenty of water when its running...and the tank supplies plenty when its off, until it runs out.

Im not sure what I should do first....put a new pump in and see if it works, or have some water hauled in first.

Anyhow....thanx for all the help in this.
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11529 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  09:26:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want more problems than you have now, keep shopping for pumps and tanks where you just were.

bob...

Return to Pumps & Tanks
Go to Top of Page

GTE

13 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2006 :  8:54:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit GTE's Homepage Send GTE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bob, thanx and I understand what you are saying....but I need to do something, and paying 300 for a pump, and finding it doesnt fix it, or 250 for a tank.....same result, would suck.

If I paid 177 for a pump...and it fixed the problem, but failed a year from now.....would give me water for now...I could use an educated guess as to what to try, thats all. And what equipment I should really go for would be a plus :)
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11529 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2006 :  09:26:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about spending $50.00 or so and call a professional that can tell you exactly what is wrong. Then you won't buy an inferior anything trying to troubleshoot it blindly.

Call a pump installer or a well driller. They would be your best bet.

bob...

Return to Pumps & Tanks
Go to Top of Page

GTE

13 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  10:32:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit GTE's Homepage Send GTE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speedbump, I went down to the hardware store and talked to the guy that installed the system, and he told me to drain the tank with a hose and check with a tire gauge....it read zero and there was water sloshing around the top of the tank. Thats what he thought was the problem, so the tank is definitely bad.

I have been all over this forum, the last couple of weeks, and almost every problem that was similar to mine, the pump not shutting off, and not pressuring the tank high enough, you always say that it is either a leak or bad pump.

Is it possible that a waterlogged bladder tank could pose the same problem, or do you think that the bad tank may have taken out my pump, altho I have plenty of water and pressure?

Also....every time I drain that tank, and turn the water back on, we get crap out of faucets...we had some nasty water in the toilet today after doing so.

Either way, I will put a new tank in, and see where I stand....and thank you for all your advice.
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11529 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  09:37:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your tank has nothing to do with the pumps ability to build pressure. You can remove the tank and the pump will still go as high as it always has. Yes your tank is bad if you drained it and there is still water in it. So you do need a new one. But you will still have the low pressure.

bob...

Return to Pumps & Tanks
Go to Top of Page

GTE

13 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  8:45:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit GTE's Homepage Send GTE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We are talking pressure in the tank, not water pressure....because we have plenty of water pressure, its just the tank not building up the pressure to shut off the pump.

Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11529 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  09:33:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You don't get it. The tank does not build pressure, the pump does. If the pump won't shut off at 40 lbs. there is something wrong with the pump not the tank. Sure the tank can be bad too, but it has nothing to do with the pumps ability to build pressure.

bob...

Return to Pumps & Tanks
Go to Top of Page

Rancher

810 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2006 :  11:04:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rancher's Homepage  Send Rancher a Yahoo! Message Send Rancher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
GTE, if the pump is not building up enough pressure in the tank to turn off, but... you have enough water pressure... then it's your pressure switch, and if it's on the same line as your gauge, then you have an obstruction.

Rancher
Go to Top of Page

GTE

13 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  9:38:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit GTE's Homepage Send GTE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I already replaced the switch, so, Bobs right, I think that the tank going bad probably has worn out the pump....at least I hope that replacing both will get me fixed, i'll let ya know...maybe it will help out someone else
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11529 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2006 :  09:02:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How much pressure does the pump build? Maximum?

If it is around 28 lbs. you have a plugged jet. It is possible to get crud in the impellers also, but the jet will usually plug first.

bob...

Return to Pumps & Tanks
Go to Top of Page

GTE

13 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2006 :  10:55:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit GTE's Homepage Send GTE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
About 30 pounds, even after I drained and recharged the tank, the pump only went to about 28-34 psi , and I do get it Bob....a good working pump should build up enough pressure, if no leaks are present, unless its bad, plugged, or worn out. Im just looking for a cheap fix, but none seem to be there,lol.
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11529 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2006 :  10:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about taking it apart and cleaning out the jet or impeller. The 28 pounds is a classic plugged jet. 9 times out of 9.5 the plugged jet indicates a lot of mineral buildup in the pump and lines to the well. Replacing the pump would be a much better idea than cleaning because it can just plug up again. But if you do it once and it works for a while, you will know what the problem is.

Please buy a good pump, the price difference is not that much different compared to the quality differences.

bob...

Return to Pumps & Tanks
Go to Top of Page

GTE

13 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2006 :  7:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit GTE's Homepage Send GTE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, I bought a Wayne 20 gallon tank, and a Star water systems pump, 1/3 hp.

My friend and I installed it, along with a new switch, and a new gauge...and all new pipes. The tank was precharged to 38 psi, and the switch was set to 30-50, so after priming the pump, I let out air to 28, and it seems like this tank takes forever to kick the pump on, works great :)

I bought everything at a HEP store, instead of Lowes, except for the pipe and fittings, which came to 85.00, at the local hardware store, probably would have been 1/2 that if I just stuck with HEP.

Altogether, I spent little over 400, and all seems well, I just need to put teflon tape on the priming plug, it seeps.

Thanx for all the advice, guys....did I buy good enough equipment to last for awhile??
Go to Top of Page

GTE

13 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2006 :  10:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit GTE's Homepage Send GTE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind, with my situation...city water should come my way within 5 years, and we have an iron problem here, with a sulphur smell, so spending 600 to last a lifetime when I cant afford it is not in my best interest. I have a softener attached also, which is bypassed....didnt help at all..

Any suggestions on an inline filter?
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11529 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  3:44:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want the truth, no you didn't.

bob...

Return to Pumps & Tanks
Go to Top of Page

GTE

13 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2006 :  8:55:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit GTE's Homepage Send GTE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to be gettin the truth, Bob...this forum appears less about helping everyone , regardless of situation, as it is about soliciting your equipment.

Thats cool, I learned alot here none the less. Its just that I had to pay half a paycheck to fix my system, and you think I shouldve skipped a mortgage payment, to have equipment shipped in from Florida....I did the best with what I had...thanx for the advice, it did help alot

Gary...
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11529 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2006 :  11:14:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I know, I really gave you the hard sell.

You asked for my opinion and you got it. If you want to buy equipment that won't last more than a year or two, that's your decision.

As for the information, it was free and I didn't tell you anything that wasn't the absolute truth in my opinion, which we are all entitled to.

I think what you did find out is you had a plugged jet all along and that is why the new pump makes pressure.

bob...

Return to Pumps & Tanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pumps And Tanks Forums! © Pumps And Tanks Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05