Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumpsandtanks Website | Chat Room | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Well, pump, tank, water quality, plmbg & electric
 Pumps in general
 cleaning screen
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

minnow73

5 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  2:38:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit minnow73's Homepage Send minnow73 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Help! This past Friday, I tried to on water and nothing. Pump was running, but no water. Assuming the pump was dying, we bought new pump and tank (Flotec from home depot). Installed with new check point valve, took a good 10 minutes to prime, but got it and all was well, water pressure even seemed a little better. This was Saturday afternoon. This morning, Monday, turned on faucet and had water, but within 1 minute trickled to nothing. Pump still running. I tried 3 times to re-prime, nothing. Checked the pipes for leaks, none as far as I can tell. Called a well company who suggested perhaps our screen was dirty and they could clean it for around $1000. To my knowledge, we have a 2" point driven well. It is in our basement. We have a pipe coming out of the ground about 2 feet or so, then elbows over to our pump, with the check valve in between the pump and where it elbows. I'm thinking if we do have a vacuum leak, shouldn't it still prime, because it did before, even if we lost it after about 40 hours? My uncle told me about some tablets I can buy and drop down to clean my screen, someone else told me to shoot a 12-gauge down to pipe! Don't know what to do! Any suggestions, and fast ones! Thankyou in advance, hope I have been descriptive enough, (I live in SW Michigan if it matters) Thanks, Emily

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11719 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  5:20:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Emily,

Save the shotgun shells. You could blow your feet off at the ankles doing that.

NuWell tablets do work if you have a well point driven in the ground. If it is a two inch well, it may have a checkvalve at the bottom which would keep the tablets from getting to the screen. I don't know how you would find an air leak if you had one.

So you might want to stay with the well guys. At least they should know what they are doing.

bob...

Frequently asked questions at a glance.

Return to Pumps & Tanks
Go to Top of Page

Rancher

824 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2006 :  10:22:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rancher's Homepage  Send Rancher a Yahoo! Message Send Rancher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We use a 1/4 stick of dynamite on a weight to the bottom of the driven well and a long waterproof fuse to solve this problem, the 12 gauge shell doesn't penetrate fall enuf to fix the clog.

Rancher
Go to Top of Page

minnow73

5 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  01:20:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit minnow73's Homepage Send minnow73 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The well guy is coming in the morning, interested to see what he says, and scared to death all at the same time! Rancher, you serious about the dynamite???
Go to Top of Page

Rancher

824 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  10:32:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rancher's Homepage  Send Rancher a Yahoo! Message Send Rancher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Emily,

No, sorry I was kidding...

However I bet a 1/4 stick would work

Rancher
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11719 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  10:42:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just so you know, when I was young and stupid, I was trying to repair a driven 1-1/4" well under a crawl space. Needless to say, I couldn't pull the well and put a new screen on so I tried an M-80. (They were legal then) I weighted it, lit it and dropped it into the not very large casing. It got stuck in the first joint about 5' down. Boom, it blew the threads in half. No more well to worry about.

I'm not sure what portion of a stick of dynamite an M-80 is, but I have played with both and they sound about the same when touched off in the open.

bob...

Return to Pumps & Tanks
Go to Top of Page

Rancher

824 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2006 :  4:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Rancher's Homepage  Send Rancher a Yahoo! Message Send Rancher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I played with them quite a lot when I was a kid, we would buy a gross of them in Mexico and smuggle them back across, they are really nothing close to dynamite, M-80's use flash powder, and dynamite is nitroglycerin(TNT)in diatomaceous earth binder.

OK there was your chemistry lesson for the day.

Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11719 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  09:00:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never knew they used DE, I thought it was mostly sawdust for the nitro to absorb into. I stored half a case in my basement for years cause us drillers used them every now and then. I had to keep rolling them or the nitro would seep out.

bob...

Return to Pumps & Tanks
Go to Top of Page

Rancher

824 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  10:21:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit Rancher's Homepage  Send Rancher a Yahoo! Message Send Rancher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything to keep the nitro from sloshing around, I always thought they used sawdust too, till I looked it up on the web, and you know everthing you read on the internet is true.

Rancher
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11719 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  10:42:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, I'm a firm believer in that. Of course, Urban Legends site should be visited now and then.

bob...

Return to Pumps & Tanks
Go to Top of Page

minnow73

5 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  10:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit minnow73's Homepage Send minnow73 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pump guy came, and lo and behold, he is a friend of my boss, so he didn't charge me for the visit and gave me the nu-well tabs for free! Dumped the tabs, let them sit for over 24 hrs, and just got done pumping it all off with an old school pitcher pump. When I thought it was good, I (By "I", I really mean my hubby), pumped a whole 'nother trash can full. Well guy told us to then pour Baking Soda down and let it sit for an hour or so to neutralize acid level, hook up pump and let her fly! I'm scared to death the water isn't clean and the acid will eat up our new pump or crud up the impellar! AARRGGHH! Oh well! It's only money right? Ha! I will be boiling all my water for a month! I will definitely get it tested right away! Fingers crossed, wish me luck! And hey Rancher, aren't ya glad I have an awesome sense of humor and didn't try the dyno!!! (However fun that would have been!) Thanks guys, I've received quite the education! Emily
Go to Top of Page

minnow73

5 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2006 :  11:42:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit minnow73's Homepage Send minnow73 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't work! Why is it we can manual pump and get water all day long, and when we stick a new jet pump on we get nothing? It worked for a day and a half just fine! Does Flotec suck that bad? I am wondering if you can get air lock in your pipes even after you've had a solid prime and had it running for awhile. When we replaced the pump, it was shorter than our old one, so where the elbow off our main pipe used to go up,, we just tightened it around and down. Understand? The water supply comes up through the pipe, elbows down, and into the pump. Could this cause air lock, and again, could it even after we had it running for a day and a half? Hmmmmm, hoping I'm not grasping at straws. Flotec will be hearing from me first thing in the a.m.!!!!!!!!!!! Em
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11719 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2006 :  08:51:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes Flotec sucks that much.

You probably have an air leak in the suction line.

The other thing I found with NuWell tabs. If you don't keep water running down the well during the process, you do not dissolve them so they don't do any good. This is a must. If you don't do it this way, your spitting in the wind. You might be able to borrow your neighbors garden hose and adjust it so it doesn't overflow your well, but it keeps the water near the top of the pipe.

Do you want a good pump? I sell them. And they aren't plastic.

bob...

Return to Pumps & Tanks
Go to Top of Page

minnow73

5 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  1:15:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit minnow73's Homepage Send minnow73 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wanted to post back, we finally got it going last week! My dad came over with a non-flotec, higher hp pump and got it going in about 10 minutes! I guess the good 1/2 hp pumps of yesterday are now the cheap 3/4 or 1 hp pumps today! Live and learn! Took a week of woe, but we have water now! Thanks for all your help, I learned so much! Emily
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11719 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  2:34:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love it, another Flotec story for the archives.

If you start having problems again, and decide to acid treat again, remember to keep a supply of water running down the well for the whole period. If it works, the water will keep running away faster and faster as the mineral around the screen disolves.

bob...

Return to Pumps & Tanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pumps And Tanks Forums! © Pumps And Tanks Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05