Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumpsandtanks Website | Chat Room | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Well, pump, tank, water quality, plmbg & electric
 Pumps in general
 Need help with drilling shallow well in Michigan
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Buckford

IL
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  12:14:15 AM  Show Profile Send Buckford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to put in a shallow well with a hand pump on our property. I just purchased a wp2 Oasis pump from the shop here. I wouldn't mind some guidance on how to handle the well. I have a 2"x36 well point and some drive couplers so far. The long winded description of the property is below.

We have 20 acres in the northwest corner of the lower peninsula. We've had the land for about one year. The land is about 4 miles from Lake Michigan and varies in Elevation from 1200 to 1250 feet. Lake Michigan is at about 600 feet. The land is on a huge glacial moraine. There are about 6 or 8 parcels of privately owned land adjacent to us. They range in size from 20 to 40 acres each. Beyond that are thousands of acres of undeveloped state forest. We are deep in the woods. In the woods, there is a few inches of loamy soil with sand underneath. The property has a storage building on it with electric power. We don't have a well. Our neighbor has an 8" diameter well. The driller had to drill 650 feet deep to install it.

We noticed that we have a small spring on our property. There was always a wet spot where one of our two-tracks went through a shallow ravine. Back in late April, we started digging in a culvert so that our two-track wouldn't become rutted. We dug back some of the dead leaves and muck to find that water was seeping out of the ground. Uphill, ravine had a series of shallow pools in it. The water seeps out of the ground in a few spots. It flows into the ditch that we had dug for the culvert. In late April, we figured that it was flowing at maybe 3-4 gallons per minute. Now that it is June, the rate has slowed to 1-2 gallons per minute.

We drilled a hole where some of the water was bubbling to the surface(uphill a bit from the bottom of the ravine) using an auger type post hole digger. We were able to add sections of pipe to the auger. So far, we have gone down about 9 feet. The material is mostly sand with a little bit of gravel. It looks like there is also a bit of very fine clay in the sand. The hole fills completely with water and overflows as we drill. We can see small plumes of clear water coming into the hole. If we leave the hole for a few hours, The hole will be completely filled with clear water. You can see all the way to the bottom. We think we can continue to drill deeper without much trouble. The sides of the hole do not appear to be caving in.

We think we are hitting a shallow aquifer. I checked the water table depths at the Michigan Depart of Environmental Quality's groundwater mapping project at http://gwmap.rsgis.msu.edu/. The water table aquifer is 0 to 15 feet below the surface in the area that we are drilling in.

Also, there is a named natural flowing spring about 1.25 mile to the south of our property. It is a spot where water is gushing from the side of a hill in the woods. The water flows as a surface stream for about 300 yards to a pond where it sinks back into the ground. The flow rate is probably in the range of 300 to 800 gallons per minute. The water from this spring is excellent quality. There is no problems in drinking it. This spring is downhill from us. We think we might be tapping into this layer of sand.

My question is: how do we proceed? We would like to install a 2" sand point and a manual pump for now. This would basically be a camp well. How deep do I have to go down? I am already hitting water at the surface. We were thinking of trying to auger down as far as we can and then place the sand point in the hole and fill back in a few feet with pea gravel. We would then back fill the rest with the original sand from the hole.

It seems that some of the regular posters here have experience with shallow wells in Michigan. I have been unable to find any written regulations on minimum well depths for Michigan. Do regulations exist and are they applicable statewide?

Does anyone have any experience working on a similar well? Any comments or advice are welcome.

Thanks

Rob

Driller1

Michigan
982 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  12:41:10 AM  Show Profile Send Driller1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many many rules. Your best information will come from the local health department.

Here is a general overview.

http://www.michigan.gov/deq/0,1607,7-135-3313_3675_3694---,00.html

You will need a drilled well by a professional.

Edited by - Driller1 on Jun 13 2011 12:43:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

Driller1

Michigan
982 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  12:45:02 AM  Show Profile Send Driller1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A 5" PVC is the way to go on this.
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11403 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  10:43:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not much on rules, since the people who wrote them know a lot less than the drillers who have to follow them. Sounds like you are going in the right direction. As you know, you can't see what's down there until you drill down. That's what a real driller has to do. The big advantage the driller has is having the proper equipment and the knowledge. For you, it's kind of like shooting in the dark. If it were me, I would attach that screen to a piece of pipe, stick it in the hole you already have and try out that new Oasis hand pump.

Pandi (Driller1) is in your vicinity and so is Lance (Lkoops) but if it isn't in their drilling area, it may be totally different than what they are used to drilling in. And you can bet, they aren't going to stop at 10 to 20 feet.

I pounded in a bunch of 1-1/4" wells when I was a kid, but I understand they are basically illegal now. Not that I would pay any attention to that. I'm basically and outlaw anyhow.

Products and Pricing
Go to Top of Page

Driller1

Michigan
982 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  4:30:07 PM  Show Profile Send Driller1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedbump

I'm not much on rules, since the people who wrote them know a lot less than the drillers who have to follow them. Sounds like you are going in the right direction. As you know, you can't see what's down there until you drill down. That's what a real driller has to do. The big advantage the driller has is having the proper equipment and the knowledge. For you, it's kind of like shooting in the dark. If it were me, I would attach that screen to a piece of pipe, stick it in the hole you already have and try out that new Oasis hand pump.

Pandi (Driller1) is in your vicinity and so is Lance (Lkoops) but if it isn't in their drilling area, it may be totally different than what they are used to drilling in. And you can bet, they aren't going to stop at 10 to 20 feet.

I pounded in a bunch of 1-1/4" wells when I was a kid, but I understand they are basically illegal now. Not that I would pay any attention to that. I'm basically and outlaw anyhow.

Products and Pricing

We have to set 27 foot (I think) of casing.

Anyway drillers have a minimum footage price so, with me they would pay for 100 foot.
Go to Top of Page

lkoops

Michigan
884 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2011 :  11:27:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit lkoops's Homepage Send lkoops a Private Message  Reply with Quote
25' of casing plus screen is minimum legal depth in the "great lake" state. Sometimes you can get a variance from the local H.D for a shallower well after proving there is nothing deeper. Sounds like your in the Travese City area? If you give us and address(county,twp,sec.#) we may be able to look up some wells nearby.
Go to Top of Page

Driller1

Michigan
982 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  07:53:11 AM  Show Profile Send Driller1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lkoops

25' of casing plus screen is minimum legal depth in the "great lake" state. Sometimes you can get a variance from the local H.D for a shallower well after proving there is nothing deeper. Sounds like your in the Travese City area? If you give us and address(county,twp,sec.#) we may be able to look up some wells nearby.

Thanks.....

I knew it was twenty something.

We don't start looking for water around here until 300 foot.

We do screened wells in Midland county. They are all 60 foot plus.
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11403 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  10:17:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
25' of casing plus screen is minimum legal depth in the "great lake" state.

So they haven't changed anything with regards to casing depth. In the 60's when the code first came out it was minimum 25' including the screen. That would be a 21' X 2" stick of pipe with a 5' piece on top for the pitless and the screen. More than legal that way. I sure drilled a pile of 30' 2" wells back in the day.

Products and Pricing
Go to Top of Page

Driller1

Michigan
982 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  11:44:51 AM  Show Profile Send Driller1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Buckford

I would like to put in a shallow well with a hand pump on our property. I just purchased a wp2 Oasis pump from the shop here. I wouldn't mind some guidance on how to handle the well. I have a 2"x36 well point and some drive couplers so far. The long winded description of the property is below.

We have 20 acres in the northwest corner of the lower peninsula. We've had the land for about one year. The land is about 4 miles from Lake Michigan and varies in Elevation from 1200 to 1250 feet. Lake Michigan is at about 600 feet. The land is on a huge glacial moraine. There are about 6 or 8 parcels of privately owned land adjacent to us. They range in size from 20 to 40 acres each. Beyond that are thousands of acres of undeveloped state forest. We are deep in the woods. In the woods, there is a few inches of loamy soil with sand underneath. The property has a storage building on it with electric power. We don't have a well. Our neighbor has an 8" diameter well. The driller had to drill 650 feet deep to install it.

We noticed that we have a small spring on our property. There was always a wet spot where one of our two-tracks went through a shallow ravine. Back in late April, we started digging in a culvert so that our two-track wouldn't become rutted. We dug back some of the dead leaves and muck to find that water was seeping out of the ground. Uphill, ravine had a series of shallow pools in it. The water seeps out of the ground in a few spots. It flows into the ditch that we had dug for the culvert. In late April, we figured that it was flowing at maybe 3-4 gallons per minute. Now that it is June, the rate has slowed to 1-2 gallons per minute.

We drilled a hole where some of the water was bubbling to the surface(uphill a bit from the bottom of the ravine) using an auger type post hole digger. We were able to add sections of pipe to the auger. So far, we have gone down about 9 feet. The material is mostly sand with a little bit of gravel. It looks like there is also a bit of very fine clay in the sand. The hole fills completely with water and overflows as we drill. We can see small plumes of clear water coming into the hole. If we leave the hole for a few hours, The hole will be completely filled with clear water. You can see all the way to the bottom. We think we can continue to drill deeper without much trouble. The sides of the hole do not appear to be caving in.

We think we are hitting a shallow aquifer. I checked the water table depths at the Michigan Depart of Environmental Quality's groundwater mapping project at http://gwmap.rsgis.msu.edu/. The water table aquifer is 0 to 15 feet below the surface in the area that we are drilling in.

Also, there is a named natural flowing spring about 1.25 mile to the south of our property. It is a spot where water is gushing from the side of a hill in the woods. The water flows as a surface stream for about 300 yards to a pond where it sinks back into the ground. The flow rate is probably in the range of 300 to 800 gallons per minute. The water from this spring is excellent quality. There is no problems in drinking it. This spring is downhill from us. We think we might be tapping into this layer of sand.

My question is: how do we proceed? We would like to install a 2" sand point and a manual pump for now. This would basically be a camp well. How deep do I have to go down? I am already hitting water at the surface. We were thinking of trying to auger down as far as we can and then place the sand point in the hole and fill back in a few feet with pea gravel. We would then back fill the rest with the original sand from the hole.

It seems that some of the regular posters here have experience with shallow wells in Michigan. I have been unable to find any written regulations on minimum well depths for Michigan. Do regulations exist and are they applicable statewide?

Does anyone have any experience working on a similar well? Any comments or advice are welcome.

Thanks

Rob

Are you sure about the 650 foot well???

Talk to the local health department.
Go to Top of Page

Driller1

Michigan
982 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  11:51:26 AM  Show Profile Send Driller1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I only found one 650 foot well in the state that is not 6" and that one is 10"

All but one is in the UP.
Go to Top of Page

Buckford

IL
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  5:09:11 PM  Show Profile Send Buckford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What type of info is a well report? Does it contain any type of intermediate info such as(for example) "We hit water at 35(or whatever) feet, but continued drilling. Finished well is 235 feet deep"

Using the website listed above(http://gwmap.rsgis.msu.edu/), I can see that there is a well in the state forest about 1/4 mile sw of our property. We walked out to it using a GPS receiver. We found nothing there. If I give the info, can someone tell me what this was? Could this have been some sort of test well?

Thanks

Rob
Go to Top of Page

Driller1

Michigan
982 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2011 :  6:56:10 PM  Show Profile Send Driller1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Buckford

What type of info is a well report? Does it contain any type of intermediate info such as(for example) "We hit water at 35(or whatever) feet, but continued drilling. Finished well is 235 feet deep"

Using the website listed above(http://gwmap.rsgis.msu.edu/), I can see that there is a well in the state forest about 1/4 mile sw of our property. We walked out to it using a GPS receiver. We found nothing there. If I give the info, can someone tell me what this was? Could this have been some sort of test well?

Thanks

Rob

Maybe.....

My guess is the well was abandoned.

We can see logs for that too.

The logs tell all the information about the well.

Drillers dill though water all the time, just because there is water there does not mean it will make a well.

What is the township and section number???

Cross roads???
Go to Top of Page

Driller1

Michigan
982 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  07:46:42 AM  Show Profile Send Driller1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is one well in that section since our new system or, 2000.

It is at 761 W Townline.

440 foot deep, the water (where the water comes up to in the well) is 295 foot.

When you are ready you need a 5" PVC well
Go to Top of Page

Buckford

IL
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2011 :  11:03:09 PM  Show Profile Send Buckford a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went ahead and contacted a local well well driller to get more information on what I would like to do. I would like to thank everyone here for their help. Especially Pandi.

Thanks

Rob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pumps And Tanks Forums! © Pumps And Tanks Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05