Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumpsandtanks Website | Chat Room | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Well, pump, tank, water quality, plmbg & electric
 Electrical wiring and components
 Pressure Switch Chattering
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stumpy

FL
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  10:53:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stumpy's Homepage Send Stumpy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My pressure switch "chatters" or doesn't make sure contact just when my submersible pump comes on. Once it makes contact, everything works fine. I tries cleaning the points but that didn't help. Should I replace the switch or does it need to be adjusted?

I just replaced the pump and in doing so changed the above ground pipe location a little. The pressure switch is on a 3 inch long 1/4" galv nipple located about 10 inches from the well seal. The nipple is screwed into a 1" Tee. Is it possible the sudden surge of water pressure is causing this?

Thanks.

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11719 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2011 :  3:20:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ideally the switch has to be near the tank to absorb the water hammer. If not, you get the chattering your talking about.

Products and Pricing
Go to Top of Page

Stumpy

FL
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  10:06:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Stumpy's Homepage Send Stumpy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. I moved it a few inches closer. The switch is about 18-20 inches from the tank. It works great about 2-3 times then starts the chattering again. I tried cleaning the points but didn't help. I remember once having a similar issue when the tank air pressure is too close to the cut on pressure. At that time, I let out some air and fixed the problem.
Do you think the switch is too far from the tank?
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11719 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  10:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
20 inches isn't all that far, but sometimes, these things get weird. Like for instance if there is some kind of restriction keeping the water from getting to the tank, the switch is the only thing to take up the shock, so it chatters on and off rapidly until the water flow smooths out. Too small a pipe feeding the tank could be another culprit. The points aren't the problem, it's the pressure side of the switch that makes it chatter.

I've had a few that I couldn't make quit chattering using all kinds of tricks, until I physically moved it.

Products and Pricing
Go to Top of Page

justwater
admin

FL/GA
1492 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2011 :  6:01:51 PM  Show Profile Send justwater a Private Message  Reply with Quote
also be sure your tank pressure is correct. 2 psi less than pumps cut on pressure.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pumps And Tanks Forums! © Pumps And Tanks Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05