Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumpsandtanks Website | Chat Room | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Well, pump, tank, water quality, plmbg & electric
 Pumps in general
 Pump Identification? What is it?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

222fbj

GA
USA

6 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  5:02:09 PM  Show Profile Send 222fbj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[URL=http://222fbj.iimmgg.com/image/230223c2f291f2656c90d75a1a601ade]This pump[/URL] has been working at my home (savannah, ga) for at least 20yrs. I have no info for it - brand/model/manual/etc. I can read some text on the label, but not much..and no brand/model info. Can anyone tell me what it is, or how to determine what it is? I then want to find a user guide for it. Thanks

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11468 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  08:45:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks like an HMS. Made by Sta-Rite. It is a multi stage jet pump without the jet. It is actually misapplied. Plugging the backpressure hole is kind of a no no. If the well had been a good producer, the motor could have been over amped by that pumps ability to produce to much water without the jet. Obviously the well doesn't produce enough water for that to happen though.

The horsepower is determined by the fourth letter in the model number. For instance, it it were a 1 horse, the model would have been HMSE. E stands for 1 horsepower. C=1/2, D=3/4, f=1.5 etc.

Products and Pricing
Go to Top of Page

222fbj

GA
6 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  09:27:29 AM  Show Profile Send 222fbj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank You!!! I contacted StaRite to see if they can verify model....then I'll get a manual.
I dont understand the 'misapplied' info. I may understand this after reading the manual.
If you have time for a brief explanation that would be great.
fyi - the brass pressure gauge was just put on since we are starting to use well water for lawn irrigation. The gauge on the unit (in back) is broken. I hope to replace that but need the manual to read how, and get the correct part.
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11468 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  10:09:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not real sure what your trying to do. I do however not recommend getting into the insides of that pump. It is probably the worst pump to work on.

If your using this pump for irrigation, I would get rid of the tank and bypass the pressure switch. Then put as many sprinklers on the system as the pump can push. It's far better for it to let it run constantly than to cycle it on and off.

Products and Pricing
Go to Top of Page

222fbj

GA
6 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  10:39:49 AM  Show Profile Send 222fbj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got it - I am replacing an ancient rainbird water controller that has a start pump control line to it. I wanted a manual to be sure I understood the wiring/voltage before I attached it to the new (Hunter iCore) water controller. I also wanted to know how much pressure it delivered (hence the brass psi gauge)...then noticed the broken gauge (which I'd like to replace if I can). No intent to do any work on the pump itself. I will read the manual (if i get one) to understand your suggestion and possibly remove the tank. Thank You very much. Barrett
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11468 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  11:48:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The manual won't mention a thing about irrigation and won't tell you anything about what your trying to do. Save your money.

The rainbird controller probably has a 24 volt "Motor" or "PS"(for pump start) circuit in it. You will need a contactor that is capable of handling the amperage and voltage of your motor controlled by a 24 volt magnetic coil. That gadget is called a Pump Start Relay. It does not come with the controller. I have them if your in need of one.

I just looked up the Hunter Icore and it doesn't mention a pump start. You might want to look into that before you buy.

Products and Pricing
Go to Top of Page

222fbj

GA
6 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  1:45:35 PM  Show Profile Send 222fbj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 'ancient' Rainbirds (I have 2) are now connected to a Pump Start Motor and the Rainbirds start the pump as needed. The rainbirds and pumpstart system were installed when we moved in. I have manuals for the rainbirds but zero info on the Pump/PS systems (eg PS wire route/location/connection to Pump).

I already have an iCore and am now wiring it for testing. The iCore does have a PS circuit. See http://bit.ly/bXBOs4 and http://bit.ly/cAauII

I hope and expect I can simply move the PS circuit/wire from one Rainbird to the iCore and be done. I believe they are both 24v. But, I first need to better understand the system. And, I have zero experience with well pumps and start circuits. Coincidently, we are now interested in using well water, due to rising 'city' water prices.
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11468 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2010 :  08:56:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I highly recommend using well water over city water if your well water is of a decent quality.

I think you will find that simply switching the PS from the old controller to the new one is all you will have to do. Except maybe for the pressure switch part of the deal. I can't see how it's wired now, so I can't comment. If you can get a close up picture of the pressure switch with the cover off, so I can see the wiring, I might be able to help.

Products and Pricing
Go to Top of Page

222fbj

GA
6 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  1:00:06 PM  Show Profile Send 222fbj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Closeup Picture of the Switch -
http://222fbj.iimmgg.com/image/76281e3bbd8d59f29609998c372df4cd

Thanks for any advice.
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11468 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  1:06:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I meant the pressure switch on the side of the motor, but that's ok. Now that I see you have a contactor, or two contactors (not sure what the second one is for) your probably by passing the pressure switch. There would be no need to use a pressure switch and a contactor because when the contactor turns off the power, it would also kill power to the switch. The sprinkler timer is what controls the contactor which in turn controls the motor. At least that's what it appears to be from what I've seen so far.

Products and Pricing
Go to Top of Page

222fbj

GA
6 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  2:20:14 PM  Show Profile Send 222fbj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Speedbump - Thanks for all your help. The icore and pump are working. (btw-best guess re pump model - StaRite HSM-1FL series - http://www.starite.com/pdf/S1002.PDF) I am now starting to plan/program the icore. I have a problem with programming the pump:

The icore assigns Pump 'On or Off' to each station - I cannot control the pump execpt by configuring each of 16 stations as PumpOn or PumpOff. I guess this is good for many - who use pumps to boost pressure. But I use the Pump as the water source, and that makes it difficult to setup 2 programs (Well/Pump vs City water).
Is device that would allow me to use an icore station/controller circuit to turn the pump ON/OFF? That might allow me to setup ocpre programs that better fit my needs.

thanks again

Edited by - 222fbj on Nov 07 2010 2:11:29 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pumps And Tanks Forums! © Pumps And Tanks Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05