Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumpsandtanks Website | Chat Room | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Well, pump, tank, water quality, plmbg & electric
 Pumps in general
 Bad check valve?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ira
Advanced Member

Angleton
TX
USA

33 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  10:55:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ira's Homepage Send Ira a Private Message  Reply with Quote
4" well, 1.5hp submersible pump...I noticed today that my pump was cycling every twenty minutes when no water was being used. I shut off the valves downstream from the tank to make sure it wasn't something in my house. My setup has a check valve between the pump and tank. The check valve has both the pressure switch and a Schrader valve Tee'd off of it. With the pump not running, I pressed the Schrader valve stem and water squirted out (a lot!). I could also see the pressure dropping at the tank very slowly.

I drained the bladder-less tank, "tapped" on the check valve a few times, then refilled the tank. When the pump shut off, the Schrader valve was drawing air for a minute or so. After that, when I pressed on the valve stem, no water came out like before.

So...I'm thinking I've got a sticking check valve, and tapping it a few times when the tank was empty freed it up temporarily. Am I missing anything else here, or do I just need to replace the check valve? Should I be concerned that when the check valve is stuck open, I'm slowly losing pressure back thru the well?

Thanks,
Ira

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11486 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  09:15:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you troubleshot it accurately to me. If water comes out of the schrader valve when the pump is off, the check valve is leaking back. When air goes into it after the pump shuts off the valve is working and so is the bleeder in the well. It could also be that someone just drilled a little hole in your droppipe instead of using a bleeder. This would explain the water running back under pressure when the check valve was stuck open. It could also be that you have a hole in the droppipe that is not supposed to be there, or that the pumps check valve is not working.

bob...

Products and Pricing
Go to Top of Page

Travis

Tx
19 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  7:02:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Travis's Homepage Send Travis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you have a schrader valve, you should not have a bladder tank. There should be a steel tank with an air-release on the side.

Just because the pressure is draining back when the check valve was leaking back, does not necessarily mean a hole. If there is a rubber bleeder valve in the pump line, it will leak back when the flow stops. There is no flow to help hold the rubber flap closed.
If there is a brass one, most of the time the pressure on the pipe will hold the ball that is in the brass one against the drain hole.

Travis

Just doing what I have to do, so I can do what I want to do.
Go to Top of Page

Ira
Advanced Member

Angleton
TX
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  7:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ira's Homepage Send Ira a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have a bladder tank. That's why I said "bladder-less".

My galvanized tank does have an air valve on it.

Ira
Go to Top of Page

Ira
Advanced Member

Angleton
TX
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  7:30:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ira's Homepage Send Ira a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bob,

If either of the possibilities in you last sentence above is what is going on, how critical are they to be fixed?

Ira
Go to Top of Page

Travis

Tx
19 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  8:01:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Travis's Homepage Send Travis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read it too fast. I better slow down.

Just doing what I have to do, so I can do what I want to do.
Go to Top of Page

Ira
Advanced Member

Angleton
TX
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  8:43:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ira's Homepage Send Ira a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Travis,

No problem.

Ira
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11486 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  09:27:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It depends on what is going on in the droppipe. If you have a bleeder, it could be gummed up and not sealing. This is not a major problem, as it will still make air. But I would change that faulty check valve at the tank.

bob...

Products and Pricing
Go to Top of Page

Ira
Advanced Member

Angleton
TX
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2009 :  10:10:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ira's Homepage Send Ira a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bob. I plan on changing out the check valve this weekend.

Ira
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pumps And Tanks Forums! © Pumps And Tanks Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05