Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumpsandtanks Website | Chat Room | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Well, pump, tank, water quality, plmbg & electric
 Electrical wiring and components
 question re: heating pump house/heat lamp?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SCWell
Advanced Member

SC
USA

47 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  11:56:31 AM  Show Profile Send SCWell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm soon to install a pump and tank in upstate SC as a project. I realize this is a very basic question, but are heat lamps or bulbs typically used to provide heat during cold nights?

If so, I have the one circuit going to the pump that is of course only live I'm assuming when the pump is operatonal. Could I somehow wire an outlet plug off of the pump circuit if advised?

Thanks for any suggestions. I'll also try to insulate as best I can the roughly 5X5 building.

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11719 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  12:20:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not code for sure, but you can take the 115 volts from the always hot side of the pressure switch. The only two screws that aren't hot all the time are the two that have wires going to the motor.

Drillers Tools ~ Zilmet Bladder Tanks ~ Hand Pump in Well with Submersible Pump (/Simple Pump) ~ Sub in Lake Strainer ~ FAQ's
Go to Top of Page

SCWell
Advanced Member

SC
47 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  1:09:48 PM  Show Profile Send SCWell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for suggestion, will do. (PS. I bet I'm going have one of the few 2" wells in my area)
Go to Top of Page

snake

CA
818 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  2:07:37 PM  Show Profile Send snake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can use lights/heat lamps for heat, however remember they burn out, they seem to not last as long now that they are made in China. Oh, and remember you want incandesant lights, not flourescent.

Are you wiring 240 vac to the pump house or 120 vac? If it's 240 remember the two wires to the live side of the pressure switch are both "hot" and by code you should have run 3 conductor + ground to the pump house (red-black-white & bare) if you do that you can wire an outlet off of either the black or red with white as the neutral and bare as the green wire safety ground. Then everthing would be to "code".

For a more reliable freeze protection I use heat tape, just wrap it around the piping and pressure tank, insulate on the outside, leave the lump thingie out in the cold air,plug it in and forget it. They have their own thermostat (the lump thingie) so it's not on all the time either. It's more costly but not as much as a frozen pump or busted plumbing, or out of water when the wife wants to shower to go to work....

Snake

Edited by - snake on Oct 25 2012 2:08:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

SCWell
Advanced Member

SC
47 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  2:18:30 PM  Show Profile Send SCWell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Snake,

I think it's 120, but will have to verify as can't remember as it's at my mother's place. Will definitely check into the heat tape, thanks!
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11719 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  3:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have heard that there is heat tape that goes inside the pipe. Ever heard of that John?

Drillers Tools ~ Zilmet Bladder Tanks ~ Hand Pump in Well with Submersible Pump (/Simple Pump) ~ Sub in Lake Strainer ~ FAQ's
Go to Top of Page

snake

CA
818 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  7:40:23 PM  Show Profile Send snake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedbump

I have heard that there is heat tape that goes inside the pipe.
I'm sure it exists, somebody has a patent on it... you would need a fitting to feed power to it, I think the stuff you wind around the pipe/pump/tank works just fine, it just doesn't work down to zero temps.

Snake
Go to Top of Page

justwater
admin

FL/GA
1492 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  8:19:34 PM  Show Profile Send justwater a Private Message  Reply with Quote
remember, u just have to keep it above 32. sometimes a 60w incandescent lightbulb is all thats needed.
Go to Top of Page

lkoops

Michigan
890 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  9:35:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit lkoops's Homepage Send lkoops a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Frostex seems to work pretty good it comes in different lenghts just put the plug on the end and your good to go. It gets cold up here in Mich. in the winter.
Go to Top of Page

SCWell
Advanced Member

SC
47 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2012 :  07:37:46 AM  Show Profile Send SCWell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much..
Go to Top of Page

snake

CA
818 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2012 :  1:50:21 PM  Show Profile Send snake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use EasyHeat, says it protects down to -40F, so I'm wondering why all my pips froze at zero.

Snake
Go to Top of Page

Dennis Mickle

McHenry
Md
1065 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2012 :  9:47:05 PM  Show Profile Send Dennis Mickle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use heat tapes also only I don't wrap them around the pipe I place them on the bottom of the pipe then wrap the pipe with insulation then plastic.

Denny
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pumps And Tanks Forums! © Pumps And Tanks Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05