Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumpsandtanks Website | Chat Room | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Well, pump, tank, water quality, plmbg & electric
 Pumps in general
 outlet pipe size
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

another old guy in FL

Lakeland
FL
USA

4 Posts

Posted - May 02 2013 :  5:45:11 PM  Show Profile Send another old guy in FL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am going to draw lake water for irrigation using a Wayne 1.5hp sprinkler pump. Pump is at lake, 5 ft lift from lake surface, thru a 2 inch suction line with check valve, and then out from pump to one inch sprinkler valves (about 130 ft away including an elevation rise of about 10 ft). Pump is tapped for 1.5 inch output line.
My question is, since the pump output is eventually getting squeezed down to a one inch valve, can I save a couple of dollars and use some existing 1.25 inch pvc pipe instead of 1.5 inch?
I am guessing it doesn't matter, but I respect your advice.
Thanks for the help.

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11189 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  08:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It all depends on the distance you're pushing the water and how much water you want to flow through that pipe. A decent 1.5hp centrifugal should be capable of around 80 gpm. At 30 psi, it should be able to pump at least 50 gpm. So if you don't need that much water, you can look at the friction charts and see what pipe is best for you. You can see friction charts here: http://www.pumpsandtanks.com/Helpful-Info/Friction-Loss-Chart.htm
Be sure to look at the top of each page for the Schedule of pipe your using. 160 has a larger diameter than Sch 40 for instance.

Drillers Tools ~ Zilmet Bladder Tanks ~ Hand Pump in Well with Submersible Pump ~ Sub in Lake Strainer
Go to Top of Page

another old guy in FL

Lakeland
FL
4 Posts

Posted - May 03 2013 :  09:45:28 AM  Show Profile Send another old guy in FL a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I see that the difference in flow is probably not worth saving a few dollars and using up my existing pipe. Will stick with the 1.5 inch schedule 40.
Go to Top of Page

seely

California
8 Posts

Posted - May 20 2013 :  01:21:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit seely's Homepage Send seely a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pipes made from any material can be measured and sized using this standard. Manufacturers use careful quality control checks to make sure their pipes stay within tolerances. Small errors in piping can become a problem on a job site, where the errors may make it impossible to create a secure connection, or could create leaks and other issues. In the event the nominal pipe size information is inaccurate, it is usually possible to take the pipe back for return or exchange, as the product is defective.

Get high capacity submersible well pump from Ruhrpumpen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pumps And Tanks Forums! © Pumps And Tanks Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05