Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumpsandtanks Website | Chat Room | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Well, pump, tank, water quality, plmbg & electric
 Pumps in general
 Installing Water Storage Tank
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bgs

ct
2 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  2:20:35 PM  Show Profile Send bgs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a submerged well pump with a pressure tank. My well is low yield and I want to install a 300-425 gallon water storage tank into my system. I would like to know what booster pump can be used between the storage tank and the pressure tank for standard household use. Also, I know that a float switch is used to turn the well pump on and off (any suggestions on a good one?) but i need an additional switch to turn the pump off if it runs dry even if the storage tank is not yet full. I also heard that this switch can be set to restart the pump automatically after a certain amount of time or when water returns to the well.

I would like to use copper to set up this system but all the tanks and valves i find are in pvc. What do you recommend to plumb from the well to tank? tank to booster pump? booster pump to pressure tank?

Thank you for any help at all

justwater
admin

FL/GA
1492 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  5:50:19 PM  Show Profile Send justwater a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is the stored water primary use? Have you considered leaving the pump and tank as it is, and using a float *valve* to maintain the water level in the storage tank? then u would use jet pump and another pressure tank for the stored water. Just a thought.
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11650 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2010 :  08:57:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like putting a 1/2 hp submersible in the storage tank.

There are several ways to do what your talking about. I guess the one that is easiest for you to maintain would be the right one.

The float that protects the pump in case the tank goes dry is just like the one that turns off the water going into the tank. It's just located near the bottom instead of near the top.

If your worried about the pump in the well going bad, you might want to consider the Pumptec.

Products and Pricing
Go to Top of Page

bgs

ct
2 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  8:01:19 PM  Show Profile Send bgs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The water is for household use (showers etc.) When you say use a jet pump, is a 1/2 hp shallow well pump at 40 psi enough for a three bedroom two bath house? I haven't seen any set-ups using submersible pumps. Would this pump still get hooked up to the bladder tank? Do you recommend a certain pump in either external jet or submersible? Thanks for the help
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11650 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  8:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 1/2hp sub will blow away most 1 hp jet pumps and run more efficiently.
A 1/2hp jet isn't much for a house your size.

Products and Pricing
Go to Top of Page

justwater
admin

FL/GA
1492 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2010 :  12:12:25 AM  Show Profile Send justwater a Private Message  Reply with Quote
a good 3/4 or better jet pump would easily take care of your house, but speedbump is right. 1/2hp sub in the storage tank would be preferred overall choice. submersible in tank, wired to pressure switch installed very close to bladder tank... subs are more efficient, better pressure, never lose prime, etc.

both the submersibles and the jet pumps found on this website are of very good quality, which is hard to find at most local stores. i would recommend the 230v 1/2hp betta flo 4" pump sold here. with the franklin motor and the more practical (in my opinion) external check valve,.. its tough to beat.

if there is a concern with overpumping the well, it should be addressed. i still say easiest solution for me would be leaving current pump+tank alone, and piping it into storage tank with float valve in tank so you are only maintaining the level in storage tank rather than filling it all at once. you could even control gpm used maintaining storage tank water level to even better help prevent overpumping. then the submersible in the storage tank, with it's pressure switch and bladder tank for the stored water usage. thats just me though, like speedbump said, there are several ways this can be done.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pumps And Tanks Forums! © Pumps And Tanks Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05