Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumpsandtanks Website | Chat Room | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Well, pump, tank, water quality, plmbg & electric
 Tanks in general
 air release valve pressure setting
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rjack

LA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  4:01:30 PM  Show Profile Send rjack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is the correct pressure setting for an air release valve. I need to install a new one and it says it is set at 25 psi. The cut-in pressure on my submersible pump is 40 psi.

JustWellWater84

Florida
364 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  4:43:39 PM  Show Profile Send JustWellWater84 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What kind of tank do you have? By air release do you mean the schrader valve?... like valve stem on a car tire? If so, when tank is completely drained it should have 2-3 psi less than pump cutin pressure.
Go to Top of Page

rjack

LA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  7:33:56 PM  Show Profile Send rjack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The tank is a galvanized tank and does not have a bladder or diaphram.

It also has a schrader valve that is located between the pump in the well and the check valve at the tank inlet and allows air to enter the riser from the pump when the pump cuts off. This not what I am asking about.

The valve I am talking about is midway up the side of the tank and has a float on a lever in the tank. The pressure gauge also mounts in it.

The new unit I have is a Brady Deep Well Air Release. On the box it says it "is designed to maintain the proper ratio of air to water in a water systems storage tank when an excess amount of air is being pumped into the system."

The information with the new valve says it is set at 25 psi and can be adjusted up to 40 psi or down to 0 psi.
Go to Top of Page

snake

CA
818 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2010 :  9:47:19 PM  Show Profile Send snake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rjack
The information with the new valve says it is set at 25 psi and can be adjusted up to 40 psi or down to 0 psi.

The screw adjusts the closing point of the valve, I believe the opening point of the valve is controlled by the float.

Clockwise should increase it, which would give you more volume between pump cycles.

Snake
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11646 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2010 :  08:43:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way we use the air release valves most of the time is in conjunction with our Sulphur Removal System. The air release valve keeps the air in the tank at the preferred level. What the screw does is set the pressure that the valve quits letting air out.

Lets say you have a power outage. The pressure gets down to the cut in pressure and the switch closes but since there is no power, the pump doesn't come on. Normally the pump would cut in and fill the tank. If your cut in pressure is 40 psi and you set the air release valve at 38, when the pressure gets to 38, it will then close the valve and keep the rest of the air in the tank to give you the rest of the tanks drawdown for usage in the home.

Since the screw pushes on a spring which makes the schrader valve open more slowly, it tends to plug the valve up more quickly. So we throw the screw away to make the valve last longer.

Products and Pricing
Go to Top of Page

rjack

LA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2010 :  8:00:00 PM  Show Profile Send rjack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry it has taken so long to reply.

Speedbump,
What happens to the pressure in the tank if you take the screw out? According to the diagram on the Brady valve the screw adjusts pressure on a spring that apples pressure to a ball that seats on the opening where air escapes from the tank. When the water level in the tank goes below the float it will allow air to escape. What pressure does it maintain in the tank?
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11646 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  08:43:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The screw sets the pressure that the valve quits letting air out once the float drops. If you set it at 20psi for instance, once the float drops and opens the valve so air can escape air will keep coming out until the pressure in the tank gets down to 20 lbs. Then the valve will close off and save that 20# of air for future use.

Products and Pricing
Go to Top of Page

rjack

LA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  09:14:09 AM  Show Profile Send rjack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you throw the screw away, there would be no pressure on the spring and ball so the valve pressure setting would be zero.

When the level goes below the float, the valve would release air until the pump cuts in and raises the level in the tank high enough to lift the float and close the valve. With the screw removed, it looks like the pressure in the tank would not go much below 40# since the pump come on at 40#. Is this correct?

Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11646 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  09:26:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but the concept of the screw is only for when the pump "doesn't" come on. Like during a storm, hurricane, tornado or oil spill. Well... maybe not an oil spill.

Products and Pricing
Go to Top of Page

snake

CA
818 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  09:30:27 AM  Show Profile Send snake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedbump
maybe not an oil spill.

Hey you brought it up, how's the oil situation? Can you just go scoop it up, put it in a 55 gal drum, use it like bio diesel?

Snake
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11646 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  09:51:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, I wish we could. I'm afraid Florida and several other Gulf states are going to have to deal with this mess for some time to come. Not to mention what happens when this goo gets out into the Atlantic and starts heading North.

I'm sure glad the Federal Government is on top of this. Obama will fix it for us.

Products and Pricing
Go to Top of Page

rjack

LA
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2010 :  2:21:46 PM  Show Profile Send rjack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I think I understand it now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pumps And Tanks Forums! © Pumps And Tanks Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05