Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumps And Tanks Forums!
Pumpsandtanks Website | Chat Room | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Well, pump, tank, water quality, plmbg & electric
 Pumps in general
 Pressure will not build up
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Particleman

Tampa
Florida
USA

5 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2010 :  9:33:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Particleman's Homepage Send Particleman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Symptom:
Pump runs, but will not build up pressure. It does deliver water.

Hardware:

Pump: Flotec 3/4hp Shallow Well Jet Pump
Tank: FP7120 (35 gallon that is supposedly rated at 82 according to their literature)

I recently put this pump in -the old one burned out. Here are the installation particulars:

1" PVC pipe down in the well to a depth of 25' - foot valve at bottom. (I would have put the recommended 1.25" pipe down the well, but the idiots who put the last pump in dropped the original submersible pump down in the well while trying to replace it. Now only a 1" pipe can pass by it and reach the watertable).

1" PVC on output.

The pressure switch is set to 30/50, the tank pressure is at 28psi.

The pipe goes from 1" to 3/4" pipe in order to feed the water softner. The output of the softner goes back to 1" for the run to the house (20'), then goes down to 3/4 copper.

After first replacing the pump - it ran as advertised for two months. Then it would constantly cycle off and on and eventually the gauge would run down to zero (or a very low pressure) though the pump would be running constantly. Water would either be a trickle or nothing at all.
Upon checking the tank, I found that it had gone bad, so I replaced that - It ran for a few hours fine, then started having the same symptom of running constantly though not building up any pressure.

Any advice / help is appreciated.

Thanks.

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11638 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  08:43:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Flotec means junk.

You have probably nuked the impeller or jet when the pump ran without pumping water. When plastic parts in a pump melt, depending on how bad they melt, their pressure making capabilities diminish greatly.

If you have a sub in the well, I would recommend fishing it out and putting in another one. It would blow away any jet pump.

Products and Pricing
Go to Top of Page

Particleman

Tampa
Florida
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  4:59:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Particleman's Homepage Send Particleman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks - I will, at least, see if there is some kind of warranty.

I don't think it ever ran without pumping water - at least not while I was observing it - it just didn't pump much water - though the damage could have been done by the time I was aware of the problem.

How does one go about fishing out a submersible pump?

Brent
Go to Top of Page

snake

CA
818 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  7:07:38 PM  Show Profile Send snake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Particleman
How does one go about fishing out a submersible pump?

Try an easyout attached to a piece of galvanized pipe
(or black pipe), you'll have to find the piece of pipe or input threads to the pump to insert that into, best way to do that is at night with one of those 3 watt white LED flash lights so you can see down the pipe, or they make special tools, I'm guessing that speedbump can help you out there.

Snake
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11638 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2010 :  7:41:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
or they make special tools, I'm guessing that speedbump can help you out there.

We do have tools for fishing and probably the only rig in the county that is equipped for fishing things out of wells.

I don't know if you want to do this yourself or if your just wanting to get it fixed. I'm only a few miles from you if you need help. You can call us at 813-677-PUMP. We are in Riverview.

Where are you in Tampa?

Products and Pricing
Go to Top of Page

Particleman

Tampa
Florida
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  09:30:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Particleman's Homepage Send Particleman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a few miles North of the Staduim on Waters and Dale Mabry.

I may take you up on your offer - how portable is your rig? Since we had the well drilled, the lots on either side of us have been built on, so there is no way to get a truck to the well.

In the meantime, I have tried everything that has been suggested by all of the sources I can find and I believe my pump is shot. Any suggestions?

I was going to get a 1hp, but was told that it was pointless to have that much power with a 1" pipe intake - thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11638 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2010 :  10:16:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to get a truck to the well to go fishing. It's a standard one ton duellie.

You heard right, trying to drag more water through the one inch pipe is kind of like trying to drink tar through a drinking straw.

If your doing your shopping at Home Depot or Lowes for pumps and tanks, expect to keep replacing them quite often. This is the way their stuff is made. They are also over rated in horsepower in most cases.

If you have a 4" well, you should be able to get two 1-1/4" pipes down the well together. You may have to do a little finagling, but it should fit easily. Then you can buy a decent pump and tank and have a decent system. Or fish out the old sub and install a new one.

As to why it doesn't work now, would only be guess work on my part. You have a well with a pump stuck in it. You have a pump and tank that isn't expected to last more than a year and a half. So you don't have much going for you.

Products and Pricing
Go to Top of Page

Particleman

Tampa
Florida
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  2:33:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Particleman's Homepage Send Particleman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well - I wish I would have found this thread before I had problems. But, I am vested in the stuff I have for the time being - and after having changed out everything in the sytem, I still have the same issue.

It must be something I am - or am not - doing properly. What do you guys charge to come out and evaluate and / or possibly get me going again?

Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11638 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2010 :  3:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Our normal service call is $85.00. Your out of our normal area mostly because of traffic and the hastle to drive to your destination from mine.

Not to sound snobby, but I really don't work on Flotec or any other pump that I can't readily get parts for. Nor do I work on throw away items for the most part. I wouldn't want to sell you all new equipment, install all new piping from the pump to the footvalve either like some guys would want to do; simply because it might be a well problem. Not a pump problem. The fact that there is a pump stuck in your well could be the problem as could be a lot of other things. But yours is one of those jobs that no matter what I try to do, if it comes to getting into the well, I can't because yours is not accessible.

The other thing that bothers me (I'm just being honest here) is that you already told me your stuck with the equipment you have which tells me you don't have money to work on the well anyway. So where would that leave any service man once he shows up?

Trust me, I know the feeling. I need a new air/heat pump but it will be a long time before I cut my AC guy loose putting it in since I can't afford one now or in the foreseeable future.

Times are tough for all of us. Unless your a politician that is.

Products and Pricing
Go to Top of Page

Particleman

Tampa
Florida
5 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  10:07:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Particleman's Homepage Send Particleman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the honesty.

I am still screwed though - my sister in law won't let us tap off of her well forever.

I did get on suggestion that the old pump could be fished out with something called an upsey daisy - have you heard of that / have one?
Go to Top of Page

speedbump
Admin

Riverview
Florida
11638 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  3:00:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit speedbump's Homepage Send speedbump a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I have, don't waste your money or time. It's a device used by weekend warriors to pull pumps that are hung on plastic pipe. It's got three rubber tires that are real close together and a motor makes the tires turn in an upward motion which using friction pulls the pump up. Your pump is down the well so fishing is what has to be done to get it out. Once you have the pipe the old pump is hanging on out of the casing, then this device could help, but so would a couple of pipe wrenches and a strong guy.

Products and Pricing
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pumps And Tanks Forums! © Pumps And Tanks Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05